Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow Day!!!!!

 It's out first snow day of the school year! Of course I didn't get the phone call until AFTER my 5:20am shower this morning! Oh, well, I was better equipped to face the day. The kids slowly made their way downstairs, squinting at the microwave clock. "We don't have school?!" They each asked, and each replied with a hearty "Yessss!". Believe it or not, this mom was enthused as well. We could have a fun day with some learning and relaxing. (and o.k., not so fun-chores!)
After a little movie time and a 15 minute turn on the Wii for each child, I had them change out of their p.j.s, make their beds, put away their laundry and do their morning chores. This was followed by 30 minutes of play time and 15 minutes of reading. I was very pleased that their was no arguments! After reading we went out side to play in that fresh snow!

Wheels and Teddy Bear working on a snow fort.
                                                                                                                                                               
Princess trying to make a snow man.

 Unfortunately, Princess was not having good luck in the
snow man department. It just isn't the right kind of snow. So then we climbed up to the platform where the slides come down from and threw snow at some "enemies".  After a few minutes of the, the kids were cold, so it was a call to retreat to the house.

Wheels' turn to knead the dough.
It was then time to start on our homemade bread. The kids were very excited about this culinary adventure. They LOVE homemade bread, and it's not always in my schedule to have time to make it.

So they each had their jobs mixing the dry ingredients, the wet ingredients and checking the temp of the wet ingredients. Then we all had turns at kneading. I put the dough on a floured pizza pan so we could sit at the dining room table and pass it to each other easier. I'll have to remember to do this every time I make something that needs to be kneaded. Alright, that sounds a little odd!
Princess getting some tips from her big brother.
 Well, anyways it is in the oven and the aroma of fresh baked bread is slowly filling the air. They need to make an air freshener that smells like this!
I can't wait for Daddy to get home so he can have some. He loves homemade bread, too!

I think it's time to introduce our family a little better, and why I'm calling my children such wacky names. Teddy Bear, Wheels and Princess are not their real names! For now, the only people reading this blog are family and friends, but should it ever go beyond this, (and I hope it does!) I don't really want strangers to know the kids names. So, it's a safety issue.


Teddy Bear's turn. It's almost ready!

We are a family of five, living in Vermont, up on our hill. Our closest neighbors are my husbands folks, they live right behind us. So if I talk about the kids going to Grandma and Grandpa's, it's literally a hop, skip and jump away! I am a stay at home mom that sometimes substitutes at 2 of the local elementary schools, but mostly devotes her time to her family and church.

My loving husband and I have been married for 13 and 1/2 years and have 3 wonderful blessings. They attend the public school in our town. However, Daddy and I still believe that we are the most influential people in our children's lives. We take time to be together as a family, both in work and play. It is our responsibility to first and foremost, is to raise them as responsible, loving disciples of Christ. This is something that we, as parents, are learning too. We also believe in cultivating their love of nature and any other outside interest they may have.

The bread is ready to come out of the oven, and Princess wants to make a batch of brownies, so I'm going to sign off for now. What do you have planned for a snow day with your children? Make it full of fun and learning!
Blessings,
Kelly


No comments:

Post a Comment