Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dealing with Down Time

It's bound to happen: Mamas get sick (or even injured) enough that they just have to stay in bed and rest. It doesn't sit well with us that we have to stay in bed, or at least take it easy, but we do it because we know that if we don't, we'll just be worse off in the long run. There is still that part of us that is chaffing at the bit to get that laundry done, get the vacuum out, get those plants in the ground and those cookies made. We feel useless and unproductive. Believe me, I deal with "down time" quite frequently because of my back issues. I have days where I am fine, or days like last Wednesday where I wake up with such a back ache that I can't even stand up straight.

So, what do we do when we are forced to deal with down time? Lay in bed, frustrated? No! We save that energy for healing, and REST! Sometimes you may be so sick, that you sleep the day away. Good, you needed it! And then there are times like I had yesterday,(I think I have a mild case of the flu) where you aren't sleeping, but there is no way you can do anything around the house. (I'm so blessed with my husband and mother who helped me out with the kids and the housework.) At first I had a little pity party about how behind on housework I am, but decided to get over it, and focus on what I could do. So I finished reading The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. How in the world is that helpful or productive? you might ask. In reading the that book, I was able to learn more about a spiritual life and about our Heavenly Father's character. That knowledge helps me to be a better wife, mother, daughter, sister,etc.

Today I feel better after a full, uninterrupted night of sleep; however, I'm still not up to doing all that needs to be done. I have 2 tasks that are to be done today, and that is all I'm allowing my self to worry about. Anything else I can accomplish is just a bonus! I'm drinking plenty of fluids and taking breaks when I need to. During my breaks I'm going to work on getting some planning done, doing some research and perhaps make some jewelry.

Here are some suggestions for when you can't be up and about:
  • Read: You can keep your mind sharp even from just reading a novel.
  • If you're feeling up to it, read with purpose. Get out that gardening book or women's magazine that you have wanted to read, and do it.
  • Do some online research such as recipes, natural alternatives, etc.
  • Write a note to send a friend or family member.
  • Plan: write that appointment in your calendar, think about gifts you would like to make for upcoming birthday's or Christmas, make a list of some seasonal activities you would like to do with your family, think about next year's garden.
  • Start making some of those gifts you thought of!
  • Have someone bring you that bag/basket of mate less socks (you know you have one, everyone does!!!) and start matching as you watch a TV program
  • Got Netflix? They have some educational shows that you can watch right over your television or computer.
  • Remember how you were going to spend time in the Word everyday? Need I say more?
It's amazing what you can do and learn, even when you have to take it easy!
Blessings,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment