|The coop beginning to take shape.|
|My darling husband/coop builder pondering roof design.|
|Fanny (the buff colored one) and Princess, the "Big Girls".|
|The younger chicks and one of our girls in the window, unsure of all of this!|
Well, I've been away from blogging longer than intended, but after losing 2 posts to cyber space, I was fed up for a while. And last week it seemed as if every minute from the time I got up until I went to bed was filled with something that had to be done ASAP. We had so much to do to get ready for our flock of chickens, and with 3 evenings a week taken up and rainy weather, we were slow on progress with our coop.
Finally, Sunday was the day! Thanks to the blessing of generous friends (Thank you sooo much Brian and Abby!), we added 6 more pullets and 2 grown hens to our little flock of 2. The coop isn't completely finished, but it is livable for the girls. The run also has to have some finishing touches but, again, it is serving it's purpose well. On Sunday evening after putting the new girls in the coop, Daddy put Katherine and Stella out to make friends. I think we may have messed up a bit in waiting so long to let them out (or they are just really slow!) because for the first 2 nights my darling hubbie had to reach through the fence (we covered the top due to local hawks) and pull the girls out and put them in the coop. Everyone else had gone in on their own. And then yesterday, Katherine wouldn't leave the coop! She just kept looking out the window and clucking at Stella.
Three of the new girls have names: Princess (my Princesses choice), Fanny (Mama's choice) and Amy(Teddy Bear's choice). We're waiting on Wheels and Daddy's choices, and then I think it will be a family vote to name the remaining girls. Admittedly, I've had a lot of fun watching them and their antics. We're having them stay in the run for now, until they are used to the sights and sounds of their new surroundings. Then we will be letting them free range (with many prayers that it goes well!).
In an earlier post I shared some links for recipes for homemade laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent, I've been slightly obsessed with the idea of making and using as many cleaners/detergents as I can. I remembered my How the Queen Cleans Everything book by Linda Cobb, and that it had some recipes for homemade cleaners. (I highly recommend this book, it is a treasure trove of tips and ideas!) Then I whipped up a batch of non-abrasive powder cleaner. In her book, she uses 4 parts baking soda to 1 part borax, and for a formula that is grease cutting, she replaces the borax with washing soda. I said, the heck with it , and made mine 4 parts baking soda and 1 part of both borax and washing soda. I've been using it to clean the kitchen sink and am thinking of using it in the bathroom as well. I also added a couple drops of peppermint essential oil, but it's not necessary. I really like this cleaner, and it doesn't take much. I just wet the sink and my dishcloth, sprinkle some cleanser in and wipe with the dishcloth, let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing with hot water. The sink is clean, disinfected and so is my dishcloth!
I'm interested in seeing if any of my readers have any homemade cleaners that they use, or if you've used any of the recipes I linked to. If you do, please let me know by leaving a comment. I'm looking into a spray cleaner using lemon juice and homemade dish soap. Let me know what you think!
Please remember to pray for our fellow citizens who have been hit by the flooding in the south and the tornadoes in the plains. And also pray that it will bring more to Christ and glorify the Father. Here in Vermont we are blessed with the absence of huge earthquakes, tornadoes, volcanoes and hurricanes. I feel almost guilty in rejoicing in the sunshine today, but in all we need to praise the Lord, for He is good.