Monday, January 24, 2011

How Low Can You Go?!

 I'm referring to the temperature of course! Brrrrr!
Good frosty day to you all. It's been a slow (and freezing!) start to the day up here on our hill. The kids had a 2 hour delay, (o.k. Scratch the early morning grocery shopping) so I thought I'd take them with me to Bible Study. Go to start the van up and it won't start. Scratch going anywhere today! So the kids and I put on our snowpants, hats, mittens, etc. to bustle down and wait for the bus. And we almost missed it. Almost!
Deceptively bright and sunny!
 Anyway, I've decided that if you can't beat Old Man Winter, you've just got to join him! Hence the snowman theme in the house and activities with the kids. I've been thinking of some fun and different things to with them. Here's what I've come up with so far: 
Our dining room table .
1. Make snowman shapes out of grated bar soap.

2. Make a blizzard in a bottle.

3. Whip up a (small!) batch of Snow Nuggetts (a.k.a. Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow)

4. Add some glitter to plain homemade play dough and sculpt igloos, snow men, polar bears, etc. Let them harden.

5. Make some ice luminaries out of tin cans.

6. Put out a suet feeder for the birds. (they don't seem to like the seed in the other feeders!)

7. FINALLY string some cranberry and popcorn for our fine feathered friends.

I've also been trying to come up with some Groundhog Day activities and treats (Feb. 2) and  for Valentines Day as well. Do you have any other winter crafts or traditions that you do with your family? If you do, let me know in the comments section below, or if you're a facebook friend, you can post it there.
Warm and cozy blessings to you!
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment