Thursday, February 23, 2012

All Natural Deodorant- This Journey's Been the Pits!

So, it's been a while since I've blogged about my personal hygiene. I figured you were all dying with curiosity about how my chemical free journey is going. No? Well, I'm going to tell you all about it anyway!

Well, the whole no'poo thing is going rather well. I was having problems with dryness at the ends of my hair and major static. Then we had a windfall of full fat plain Greek yogurt. It's the best beauty product I've ever eaten! (Seriously, if you wanna pamper yourself, go buy a tub of yogurt (it's gotta be full fat and plain!) and take a shower with it. No, it's not gonna wash your back for you, but it will make your hair, body and face soooooooo silky soft!) I applied some of this magic creaminess to my damp hair and let it sit while I did my other shower things. Then I rinsed it out with luke warmish water (it is February after all!) and used my no 'poo hair cleaner as usual and finished with my ACV rinse. You really need to make sure that you've rinsed the yogurt out well and work in the baking soda solution, or else your hair could be greasy. However, it will be super-dee-dooper soft.

The yogurt will also make your skin silky soft. I apply to my skin after I've washed up. I try to let it stay on for a little while before making sure that I rinse of completely. And, not to be ..er.....well, anyway, it would be a nice touch for date night! It's also a wonderful facial mask. After washing my face with honey, I smoothed on the yogurt and let it sit, then rinsed. I didn't use my acv toner because the yogurt is acidic. And there was no need for any sort of moisturizer because it just didn't need it. Awesome!

Now to the embarrassing admission part. If you read my blog post about going all natural in concern to my personal hygiene, then you know that I was trying to take baby steps with homemade deodorant. I had started using just baking soda under my arms for about a week and a half to two weeks. And my under arms itched. I didn't smell, but I itched. Then I had a day where I was in so much pain that it was all I could do was get the kids ready for school and on the bus before I crawled back in bed. There was no inclination for a shower. The next day was Saturday, and feeling (somewhat) better, I got up and did my baking. Then it was shower time. As I headed to the bathroom, I scratched an itch under my arm and encountered a scaly armpit. What in the world?!? I looked in the mirror and to my horror there was a big, brown scaly scab-like patch on my under arm. Under both actually. I freaked for a nano second before realizing that the baking soda I had applied on Thursday had mingled with my sweat for a good two days and make a nasty scab like thing. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! Well, I double timed it to the shower and scrubbed under my arms like there was no tomorrow. I didn't use a darn thing on my poor, sensitive under arms. I actually went a whole weekend with naked pits until I could do my shopping and get some Tom's of Maine deodorant. By the way, I was so thankful that this all happened in the winter! I did not stink my family out.

Well, I got to Walmart that Monday morning and picked out the apricot scented solid stick from Tom's. I sort of stood in the aisle, mouth agape at the fact that I didn't have a coupon to buy this, but got over it when I looked at it's poisonous shelf mates. The thing is, it just isn't working. By dinner time, I'm a bit smelly. By bedtime, all bets are off and I smell. This is so not cool.

This morning I took out the canning jar that I had saved to make my homemade deodorant in before the whole nasty patch episode. I added 1 1/2 tablespoons of baking soda, 3 tablespoons of cornstarch and 4-5 drops of lavender essential oil. I put the cap on and shook it well. After my shower I used a powder puff to apply. I don't stink and I don't itch. (Unless I start thinking about itching, and then I do.) In fact, there is absolutely NO odor in the pit area as I'm writing this at 7:30 in the evening. Woo-hoo! Victory! Homemade deodorant it is.

So,what do I do with a nearly $4 stick of deodorant? Anybody?

Blessings,
Kelly

4 comments:

  1. Amy over at Homestead Revival blog has a fantastic deodorant recipe that uses corn starch, baking soda and coconut oil. It's fantastic and smells really good. Check it out!!! I use it, and it works great for me. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I will eventually get to the coconut oil, I've just been a bit shell shocked by the price of it! Blessings, Kelly

      Delete
  2. Kelly,
    Don't let the price shock you. It goes a LONG WAY...ANd you can use it in cooking, too, insteaad of olive oil or butter. It burns very nicely in the pan. What I would recommend is buying one jar, making the deodorant, see how you like it. Then if you really like it, you can look at Amazon.com and Vitacost.com for better deals on coconut oil, too. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, Thank you for the encouragement and advice! I'll have to get a jar of it next time I go shopping. Blessings, Kelly

      Delete