Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Cool, Rainy Day

One of two raised beds that my DH built for me!

Catnip in the herb garden.

Forbidden fruit! Blackeberries growing in a flower bed!
Tuesday greetings to all! If your in Vermont like we are, then it's gray, cool and damp. I'm not complaining by any means, though, because I've taken advantage of the weather to get some baking done. Saturday was the usual batch of chocolate chocolate chip cookies and breakfast cookie bars, along with a batch of chocolate chip banana bread. Today I've got snack mix cooling while a batch of chocolate zuchinni bread is filling my house with it's yummy aroma! I'm hoping for cool mornings this summer so that I'll be able to bake and show hte kids how to make things during theor vacation.

Despite the cold and dreary weather this weekend, my darling husband was able to build 2 raised garden beds for my herbs. The original plan was for just 1, however, he was able to get enough lumber for 2. It's for the beast that we have 2, because my herbs filled the first and have overflowed into the second. It was very exciting to plant my herbs that I had started from seed back in March! I also had some that we had purchased from a home and garden store, and my mother in law was very kind to give me a large bunch of chives from her garden. The chives I had started look rather puny, so if they don't do well, I at least have one established plant. In my herb garden I have, catnip, parsley, oregano, thyme, sage, basil, chives and I have sweet mint to plant. I'm not sure if I want to have any more herbs this year, or if we'll use the rest of the second bed to plant veggies.

The kids are looking forward to the end of school, although they've been forewarned that summer will not be one long session of sun, trips to the Rec and video games. Daddy and I have talked to them about helping with chores and keeping up on reading and math if they want to do fun things. So far I have thier workbooks and folders out and some tentative plans for Paul Bunyan Day (June 28). I also have new chore magnets to finish making, daily checklists to put in plastic sleeves, reading charts and worksheets to print out. We're going to have a definite, but flexible, daily schedule.

In all of my planning, in the back of my mind has been the fear of total, utter failure; however, this morning during my personal Bible study & prayer time, I felt led to look up the words "commit" and "plans" in my concordance. What a blessing to have the Lord speak to me through His word and calm my fears! Here are the Scriptures that I'm holding fast to:

Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3
Do not those who plot evil go astray? But those who plan what is good find love and faithfulness. Proverbs 14:22
Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisors, they succeed. Proverbs 15:22
The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty. Proverbs 21:5

So exactly what do these mean for us? First, we have to commit our plans to the Lord, and for His glory. We need to make sure that our plans are in line with  Scripture (good), that we look for wise counsel and are diligent in our efforts. The security and peace that I feel after coming to this conclusion is absolutely amazing! And I hope these verses give any of you with plans or decisions to make, a source of comfort and inspiration.

The day is getting along, so I need to get back to housework! Have a wonderful rest of your day and see you soon!
Blessings,
Kelly



No comments:

Post a Comment